Monday, March 2, 2015

I have a lot to learn. Letter from Feb. 23, 2015



Good week :) Today starts the last week of the transfer!

BILLY. His baptism is still set for Saturday. On Sunday he had his baptismal interview and he passed! :) He's such a cool kid. Next step is just to plan the program for his baptism. :)




VODA. Voda came to church on Sunday- without Dustin. Since Dustin has gotten out of prison, he hasn't been able to make it to church. :/ That's concerning to us... Seeing as that her whole interest in the church was sparked from Dustin... But she has persevered! She even bore her testimony in Elgin's Fast and Testimony Meeting yesterday. :D YAY! We're hoping that she will change her mind and get baptized now. She's SO ready.

GEORGE. George came to church AGAIN this week! HOORAY! George grew up here in La Grande and, as luck may have it, he knows a TON of people in the ward from when he was in high school!! So, with him coming to church, it's like a huge high school reunion. It's hilarious to watch. But he's loving listening to the hymns and the speakers as well. :) We have a lesson with him tonight!

TIFFANY. We had another lesson with Tiffany this week- after a 2 week break. We felt inspired to have a short lesson on faith- especially since we had an hour long lesson with her last time that was FILLED with all new information. Tiffany loved it! We read Alma 32 with her and discussed the importance on having patience as we grow our faith.

BUSH. He is a less-active teenager that's working on coming back. We've taught him lessons 1 and 2 throughout the last couple weeks. This week, we were going to teach him about The Gospel of Jesus Christ, but he didn't do the reading assignment that we had given him previously, so we read that with him. Then we gave him Alma 32 to read before our next lesson. And, silly me, I told him that I'd ACT OUT Alma 32 (including dressing up like a seed, flower, tree) IF he read it before Sunday and reported back to us.... and, of course, he did. Haha! So that's going to be happening this week.

ZONE CONFERENCE. We had zone conference this week in Ontario. It was awesome- as always. :) They had 2 recent converts speak to us about their conversion stories, each district acted out funny skits about the "commitment pattern", and there were farewell testimonies from the missionaries that are going home at the end of the transfer. Zone Conferences are always such an inspiring experience that just reboots me for the rest of the transfer.





This is the last week of the transfer! Transfer calls are going to be sent out on February 28th- the same day as L. Tom Perry.
Transfer Calendar (these are the actual dates that we MOVE areas- the transfer CALL is the Saturday before):
March 2 - IN A COUPLE DAYS!
April 13
May 25
July 6
August 17 - COMING HOME
Then I fly home the next day. :)

Lecture on Pride. I woke up this morning in a terrible mood- completely mad at the world because I only had a few minutes to get ready and my shower was cold and I had just cleaned the entire apartment by myself again and I was annoyed and yeah. (Man, that happens to me a lot. haha!) But, anyways, I went into my study time with wet hair and a grumpy face... I prayed that I would be able to find something in the scriptures to ease my mood and help myself to feel the spirit. And, of course, the Lord likes to lecture me during those times. I opened up my scriptures and read Jacob 2: 13-17, 20-21...

(Starting at the end of verse 13) ye suppose that ye are better than they. And now, my brethren, do ye suppose that God justifieth you in this thing? Behold, I say unto you, Nay. But he condemneth you, and if ye persist in these things his judgments must speedily come unto you. O that he would show you that he can pierce you, and with one glance of his eye he can smite you to the dust! O that he would rid you from this iniquity and abomination. And, O that ye would listen unto the word of his commands, and let not this pride of your hearts destroy your souls! Think of your brethren like unto yourselves...
(and then verse 20) And now, my brethren, I have spoken unto you concerning pride; and those of you which have afflicted your neighbor, and persecuted him because ye were proud in your hearts, of the things which God hath given you, what say ye of it? Do ye not suppose that such things are abominable unto him who created all flesh? And the one being is as precious in his sight as the other. And all flesh is of the dust; and for the selfsame end hath he created them, that they should keep his commandments and glorify him forever.

One of my BIGGEST weaknesses is pride. I have a hard time accepting other peoples weaknesses and blaming them for my bad attitude. But, after reading those verses, it reminded me that we are all here on Earth for the same purpose: to "keep his commandments and glorify him forever". We're all on the same playing ground... It was just a good slap in the face this morning. "Get with it, Sister Gubler!" And, to quote President Cannon: "Comparison is the root to all unhappiness." And pride tends to show when you start to compare...

The work here in this area is amazing.

In our Zone Conference, there was a Sister the shared the poem "High's and Low's"... Oh my, it was SO GOOD. Mom, could you look it up and send it to me? That would be AWESOME and totally appreciated!

And how's the blog looking? ;)

And WE GOT A NEW CAR!!! Nice and red. Riding in style.

Sister Gubler


No comments:

Post a Comment