Saturday, May 3, 2014

3 missionaries walk into a bar!

Yes, it's true. We walked into a bar.

 And it was the most awkward experience of my life. Okay, well, it was really called a "cafe", but it was 80% bar. A ward member wanted to take us out to eat dinner- which I LOVE when people do that because then I can eat whatever I want, rather than feeling forced to eat what they make me. But anywayssss. She wouldn't tell us where we were going because it was supposed to be a surprise. But we get there and all we see are neon signs that say "Bud Light" and "Coors" and all sorts of other alcoholic drinks that I don't know the names of because I'm such an innocent little Mormon girl. (Side note: I almost ordered an alcoholic drink on accident. That would have been super awkward. Good thing my comp is a convert and she knows all of those things. hahaha) It ended up being fine. We just ordered burgers and then sat in the corner booth of the restaurant. Haha. But we were SO SCARED that the mission president was going to be driving by just as we were walking in- since his area is really close to ours.

ANYWAYS.

I have developed a new love for Mongolian BBQ's. Most delicious food ever. And you can pile your food up as HIGH AS POSSIBLE and have LEFTOVERS FOR DAYS!!!! #thebest 
That's all I have to say about that. :)

We have a new potential investigator! But... she's a little interesting. Katie (one of the recent converts that attends our ward) introduced us to her and we had dinner with her and the Minert's on Wednesday night. To make a long, awkward story short: she believes that we worship Pagan gods. (I don't know if I spelled that right.) She associates Easter eggs, bunnies, Christmas trees, and ornaments with pagan worship. I tried to tell her that those things are CULTURAL, not religious. But she wouldn't accept that. She even lived in the mountains for a period of her life, away from civilization, running water, and electricity. She studies the Bible in Hebrew, only does what Abba tells her to do, and believes that Abba talks to her in horse language. She's also one of those people that needs to see proof of everything in the scriptures. I tried talking to her and showing her scriptures about how she needs to walk by faith. We're not going to have a perfect knowledge of the things of God. And, to that, she responded, "I know the scriptures say that. But you need to show me the answers in the scriptures." What the heck?! You JUST agreed with me, but you still want "proof"?! Ugh. That discussion was very contentious- not from our end though. We'll have to wait and see if it goes anywhere. We're praying that her heart will be opened and that she'll be more willing to walk by faith, rather than sight. 
I'm also praying that I'll have more patience, because although I look and talk like I'm patient and loving- in my head I'm thinking, "STOP IT LADY! STOP IT! JUST LISTEN TO WHAT WE'RE SAYING!" haha.

We had FHE with a family in the ward on Monday night and spent a lot of time feeding/holding their animals. So they invited us to come back and help them with chores (to which we accepted gladly!)..... at 7 in the morning... (not so gladly). Especially because we woke up that morning and it was POURING rain outside- and we couldn't back out. So off we went into the rain, and we had so much fun! Unfortunately we probably took more pictures than we did help with chores. But I milked a cow! And fed some huge, disgusting pigs. haha. I will NEVER own animals. 





At district meeting on Friday we talked a lot about tracting and door approaches. Oh my goodness... Tips and tricks of tracting from the Elders. That adds to a very hilarious district meeting.

Shout out to Mothers everywhere- YOU ARE FANTASTIC.
Not much has happened again this week... Both of my companions have been sick with a flu bug the past week. And they seemed to take turns. Sister Happy was sick for the beginning of the week, and then Sister Keyser at the end. Meanwhile, I'm still rockin' it with my AWESOME LEGIT GAG REFLEXES! Puke free since 5th grade! WHOOHOO! Okay... that's gross. Sorry. haha! But it's given me a lot of time to play nurse and prep for life as a mother. haha. I HATE watching people puke. Worst thing ever. I don't know how parents do that! But one of my comps (not naming names) seriously can't be alone for 5 seconds without feeling lonely- especially when she's sick. So I've had to stay up with her the past 2-3 nights until about 1-2 am while she's sick. Motherhood- there is no greater calling! haha. 

Speaking of Mothers! Mother's Day is coming up soon! And that means I get to call home- oh joyous day! I'll call home on that Sunday and I'll probably skype. :) That seems to be the simplest way. I think we get 40 minutes to talk...? Not sure. I'll let you know. But we don't have a scheduled time, it's just whenever in the day is convenient. (I need to work around my appointments here of course.) YAY! SO EXCITED! Just let me know! Well... actually... I'll just let you know what time. haha That might work better.

We visited with Dave again this week- still struggling with the Word of Wisdom. Normally we go and give him a lecture about how he needs to stop drinking coffee and that he needs to have faith. But this time I went into the appointment and just had an overwhelming feeling to tell him to be patient. 
So many times, missionaries or friends get inpatient with people that are getting over addictions. And the thing that we need to remember is that they are always trying, every day, to improve. They don't WANT to be miserable. They don't WANT to be considered unworthy or unclean. 
I expressed to Dave that he was doing a great job. He is trying the best that he can. He will get there eventually, but it takes time to change our habits. I told him that we are praying for him, and that the Lord does not expect perfection right away. 
To that, I think he was greatly appreciative. And I think he felt of our love and support, as well as the Lord's.

That's pretty much all the exciting news that I have to share. haha. 

Love you all!
Sister Gubler

P.S. I encourage ALL people to serve a mission. It is a decision that you will never regret. Don't let fear, lack of knowledge, or questions stand in your way. 

We made cups for teaching the apostasy and the restoration!



Playing spiritual jenga... and building temples out of the pieces. 
Geese in the middle of the road.....We were stopped for about 10 minutes.

rejoicing about the clean apartment... haha

Law of Chastity!!! LIVE IT- LOVE IT!

Flying!





tucking in my sick companion!

we cleaned the ENTIRE apartment- thumbs up!


No comments:

Post a Comment