Monday, November 24, 2014

Lessons from Joseph F. Smith. November 3, 2014 letter!

The lesson in Relief Society was on Joseph F. Smith this Sunday- focusing on missionary work. How I relate to President Smith! Apparently, on his mission, he didn't have the opportunity of really teaching or baptizing anyone. He described his missionary service as spending years away from his new wife, knocking doors, inviting people to learn about the gospel, but no one taking the opportunity. But he didn't let that drag him down! He didn't allow that to be a representation of who he was as a missionary. He knew he was doing his best. And then he later became a prophet! Can you imagine what would have happened if he viewed his mission as a "failure"? He was described as one that tilled the ground so that the seeds could be planted by someone else. I needed that lesson! Just because you don't have those obvious successes, doesn't mean that you're a terrible missionary. On Saturday, my companion and I were comparing our mission experiences. As we talked about the people that we had taught and the people that had been baptized, my companion went on and on (for what felt like forever) naming off people. And when it was my turn, I could count the number of people using only my 10 fingers. Better than Joseph F. Smith's experience, but still hard. Maybe I'm just considered one that is tilling the ground so that others can plant the seeds.

The only thing that's frustrating about that is when other missionaries ask you, "How many baptisms have you had?" And then you answer with "zero" or "one", and they look at you like, "Seriously? That's it? What is this Sister doing all day long? Does she even know what she's doing?" But they say out loud, "Oh, don't worry Sister! You'll get some!" Oh shush people! The numbers don't matter! I'm just fine with being a ground tiller!!!!

Sister Miller had another baptism in Nampa on Saturday... (I'm pretty sure this is, like, #5 since she's been here in Parma.) SO, ANYWAYS, I went on exchanges to New Plymouth again. This time we spent 8 HOURS splitting and stacking wood for a less active family. Seriously. 9-5pm. In the pouring rain. It was us and then 2 other sets of Elder's- and we split over 7 cords of wood... (that's what the guy said, not sure how much that actually is) But I am in SO MUCH PAIN. I felt like I was lifting weights for 8 hours. It is hard to describe the amount of our effort. And I didn't even take a picture. But we pretty much filled a whole garage full of wood. Yeah. We felt accomplished.

So, Halloween happened. All the missionaries went home early that night. Soooo... I just watched a Mormon Tabernacle Choir concert from 2002 (when the Olympics were at SLC) and the play that they did, "A Light to the World". And my companion sat in the other room cause she didn't want to watch it. hahaha Yeah. We had a good time. Safe to say, Halloween isn't my favorite holiday ever. So I was just grateful that I could get an extra hour or two of sleep that night. BUT! I DID dress up my Kenny the Koala- he turned into SUPER KENNY!

We've been contacting a lot of the referrals that we received from our tracting bltiz. So far, not much has come of it- other than awkward encounters. haha! But, yeah, I'll keep you posted if any new investigators start to come out of the wood work from it. :)

We've been visiting a less active whose name is Rory. She's never read The Book of Mormon. She said that it didn't make any sense, she didn't get anything out of it, and that there was no point. WELLLLLL. So, we challenged her to read one page every day. And at the end of each page, to write a summary of what she read on a sticky note. Every night before we go home, we follow up with her on what's she's read and explain things to her. As we've gone over, we've noticed that her entire countenance has changed! She understands what she reads and she applies it in her life! It's been amazing to watch how just reading one page from the scriptures each day can totally transform a person.

Oh man. I HAVE to tell you about a run-in I had last night with a ward member. (This experience pretty much describes my entire time here in Parma.)

Member: "Sisters! Who are you teaching?"
Me: "Do you remember Richard and Rocky and Elsie? We introduced them to you a while back."
Member: "uhhh....... Oh right! Them!" (yeah, he didn't remember.) "How are they progressing?"
Me: "They're doing good! The only thing that they're struggling with now is that they aren't coming to church."
Member: (looking at me funny) "That's a big thing though."
Me: "You're right. It is. They've met a lot of people from the ward. We're just trying to find someone that will really connect with them and stick."
Member: "So, you're telling me that we need to work better at doing missionary work?"
Me: (feeling bad for putting him on the spot) "The members are great at going over there with us! We just haven't found someone who's really clicked yet."
Member: "Have you tried giving them lessons in a member's home?"
Me: "No, we haven't! That's a great idea! Would you be willing to have them over for a lesson?"
Member (backpedaling): "Uhhhh.... Well.... I mean... I have young kids. I don't know...."
Me: "Well, that's perfect! Cause they have a 2 year old and a 7 year old!"
Member: (really wanted to end the conversation) "Well.... Ummm.... I'll have to see if I'm free.... You can just call me and I'll let you know."
Me: "Awesome."

Yeah. Pretty much describes Parma. They LOVE giving us suggestions, but they aren't really willing to do anything to help. #thestruggleisreal
When members assist in the missionary work, everything just goes better.

My halfway mark is on the 5th! I was totally planning on burning a skirt or something... but burning isn't allowed anymore. DANG IT. There goes my plans! haha! Maybe I'll just take the usual picture. (BORING)

The missionary work here is still the same. Inviting people to change, they don't do it, we feel sad, we visit them again and explain that they need to come to church/read scriptures/say prayers if they're going to progress, and then the cycle happens all over again. Fortunately, there are little changes that are happening. Goals are being created. People are starting to understand doctrines. People are praying when trials come. The gospel is bringing their families together. It's amazing to see. I just wish that THEY could see it for themselves!

Sister Gubler

No comments:

Post a Comment