Sunday, October 12, 2014

Beware of Pride

Letter from September 29, 2014

FAMILY: Thanks so much for PIYO and the packages this week! I've LOVED them! I've put the stickers to good use already and we listened to the CD in the car on the way here to the library. :) Thank you, thank you!
And, I just have to say, Reid's letter was THE funniest thing I've ever read while on my mission. hahahaha I was cracking up! 
If you could send me some more buttoned sweaters from DownEast (I already have black, brown, and blue)- that would be great! 

What a crazy week! 2 exchanges, tracting, and the General Women's Meeting! I've had a headache all week as well... Hmmm... Wonder why. ;) STRESS. haha!

So.... I tried to go a week without sugar the past 7 days. Yeah. I failed on day 3. haha! It's so hard as a missionary! This old guy gave me a free ice cream cone (the owner of A&W- because his old roommate was a Gubler! YES! Family connections!) and then this other guy in the ward started complaining about how he didn't get dessert because we didn't eat ours.... Awkward. Can't ya'll just support me in my healthy eating choices?! haha! Here's to trying again. 

Another P-Day came and went last week- and I still feel like nothing really got accomplished. We have to do our laundry, email home, write letters, clean our apartment, go shopping in Ontario, go to the post office, have lunch and dinner, AND then our zone expects us to go and hang out with them at the stake center for the day.... And then we still have to be out proselyting at 6 p.m.  AHHH!!! Monday is seriously the most stressful day ever. I never get anything done. So, sorry if I haven't written you in a while or responded to a letter. I'll be better!

I won't give details on this- BUT, it's always a great feeling when you've felt a prompting from the spirit, follow it, and then (several months later) realize why you felt the prompting. (I don't know if that makes sense to anyone... but, yeah, it's an awesome thing.) I have a feeling that that's how I'll feel about my mission when I get home... felt a prompting, followed it, and later find out why it was important.

On Thursday, Sister Miller hit her 9 month mark- so she got to go to the temple! Lucky her! Only 1 more month until it's my turn! :) But, while she was gone, I served with Sister Clemons and Sister Anderson in the Nampa East Stake. It was an awesome day! We baked pies (put my pie-making hands to the test!), taught a couple of lessons, and visited some members. Their ward mission leader is a rock collector, and let me take home a rock and an old ring. (He gives one to each Sister that comes to his home.) He told me that, whenever I look at it, I need to remember how wonderful my mission was and all of the things that I learned there. It was a pretty awesome gift.

We did service for Mariah and Dallas again. But this time we cleared the front of their trailer: throwing away trash, moving large sticks and pieces of wood, and racking back leaves. We made a play area for the kids and even got creative by lining the path to her trailer with sticks and making her and Dallas a driveway lined with sticks as well. It was pretty cute- if I say so myself. haha! After doing that, since we were already in our service clothes, we thought that we'd try to offer service for members of the ward that lived nearby... Ohhh mannn... Haha! This one ward member (a really old guy) starts lecturing us (big time) about how we're "not doing missionary work" and that we're "wasting our time" by doing service for people: "Explain to me how THIS is missionary work!" (which I GLADLY explained with a large smile on my face :D)... And then he proceeds to give us 3 referrals... AND THEN tells us about how he healed himself one time..... Yeah. That was an interesting experience. I just smiled and said, "That's so awesome, Brother! Thank you for sharing these things with us! You are a great missionary! But, sorry, we actually have to get going... Can we say a prayer with you before we leave?" *missionary escape route* haha!

We had another day of exchanges on Friday night- Saturday night. Sister Miller had a couple baptisms in Nampa to attend, so we exchanged with our Sister Training Leaders, and I went to New Plymouth for the day. It was actually an awesome experience, as we worked in Fruitland for the day at our zone tracting blitz. Sister Thomas (my STL) and I both commented on how much we enjoyed working with each other- because we made tracting fun! So many times (depending on your companion, really) tracting can be nothing but AWKWARD. You go to a door and the person looks at you like, "Why are you here? What do you want?" and you're just thinking to yourself, "I'm here to talk to you about the gospellllll... Please invite me inside?... Please?" But really what comes out is: "Hi! What's your name?! My name is Sister Gubler!" And you continue to drag on a pointless conversation that ends with: "Well, hey! Can we share a scripture with you?!" And then they walk away going: "Those Mormons are weird... I just wasted 5 minutes."  Awkward. Just awkward.
But Sister Thomas and I had some great spiritual experiences as we handed out copies of The Book of Mormon, shared scriptures from the Bible, and prayed with people. We were able to find people that were prepared to hear the gospel! And I definitely felt the spirit guiding our words. When you and your companion are working in unity and are really listening to the spirit, you find yourself really having the desire to talk to people and share the gospel with them.

Ohhhh mannn!!! WOMEN'S CONFERENCE WAS AMAZING!!!! I loved Uchtdorf's talk. No one else seemed to get the same message out of it that I did... But the whole time I was listening, the phrase: "Beware of Pride" came into my head. Think about it though! The Lord really does NOT care about what you wear, what you look like, how many friends you have, if you're the smartest one in your class, if you have the best pinterest board, if your house is like a magazine... It really doesn't matter to Him. And He really does know something that we DON'T. The whole conference was so great. Sister Miller and I are going to start memorizing "The Living Christ"- hoping to have it down by December 25. :)

I can't believe it happened... but it did. I forgot my camera again. *face palm fail* So, this weeks pictures will have to come next week! Sorry! :(

Sister Gubler



No comments:

Post a Comment