Monday, June 30, 2014

Here's ALL the info!

Week one in Parma was quite a success! We taught a total of 21 lessons this week! Isn't that awesome?! I haven't done that in... well... EVER! haha

Parentals, did you get my package? 
And also- could you send me a GPS? I don't need one right away (my comp just bought one), but I'll need one for future transfers.

Let me tell you about some of our investigators. :)

Renteria Family. This is a Hispanic family that my companion had been teaching. My first night here, we went to teach them a lesson- The Gospel of Jesus Christ. Apparently they had been asking Armondo (the dad) to pray, and he would always say no. So that was a huge boundary to get over. But I guess I have a gift for it- because every time I ask someone to pray they always do it. haha! ARMONDO PRAYED! And it was a fabulous prayer. At least, I would assume so... he said it in Spanish. :P But we had a member with us who speaks Spanish, and he said that it was great. So I'm going to take his word for it. ;)

Anthony. He's 15 years old- and man, what a dude. Youths. Sometimes I just want to slap them around a little bit. haha Anthony has taken all of the lessons- but if you ask him questions about it, he has no idea and doesn't remember anything. My companion was getting so frustrated with him. "Do you know what the Atonement is?" "NOPE!" "Do you remember who Joseph Smith is?" "NOPE!" Oh goodness. I knew there had to be something in that head of his.
I start asking him questions, and putting him on the spot a little bit. "When I say 'Jesus Christ', what's the first word that comes to your mind?" He started responding with words like, "death, sacrifice, sins, teacher". And then I said: "When I say, 'Book of Mormon', what's the first thing that comes to your mind?" That opened him up a little bit more. He said, "plates, translation, scripture". I assured him that he was correct, and that he knew more than he thought that he did. 
At the end of the lesson, I concluded that we needed to teach him more often and in shorter lengths. He's a teenager. He can't pay attention that long. haha. We're going to start the lessons over again, and we committed him to a baptismal date for next month.

Hannah. She's 9 years old... and the more I meet with her, I realize how much I don't like teaching kids. haha. Not that she's not an angel! It's just hard when they like church and like having us teach them, but they're not old enough to make that commitment to change. 
She LOVES Sister Pritchard and, well, doesn't care too much for me. haha. That's okay though. So whenever we go over to teach her, Sister Pritchard pretty much takes over and then I add things in every now and again. But Pritchard says that Hannah has opened up more to me than she has to any other missionary, so I must be doing something right! 

Mariah and Dallas- cute married couple. Mariah has a baptismal date for July 11, and Dallas is starting to get active again. Think of everything bad that someone could get into- Mariah's been there. Her life was CRAZY. But she met Dallas, and (long story short) they got married! They even have CTR rings as their wedding rings. I didn't know people legitimately did that! haha! But they are golden. Coolest people ever.  

Angel and Matthew. Angel just got baptized last Saturday! She was taught by the missionaries in the other ward. Angel and Matthew are the youngest couple ever... she's 19, he's 18- and they have a baby! And, oh my goodness, they are the kissiest couple I have ever seen in my life. We go over to teach a lesson, and they kiss about 4-5 times while we're there. REALLY?! PDA PEOPLE! 
But when we went over there... oh my goodness. Angel told us that she didn't know how to pray AND that she wasn't really paying attention too much when the missionaries were teaching her. WHAT?! So I told her that we'd start the lessons over again.... But how in the world did those missionaries let her get baptized?! It frustrates me how some missionaries only think about the number, and they don't care about the PERSON! Grrrrr. (But maybe that's why I haven't gotten any baptisms on my mission so far...)

Let me tell you about this mansion that we saw yesterday- and that we got 2 new investigators out of! We were out with a member, and she was driving us around, showing me the area- when I saw this HUGE house!!! IT WAS HUGE!!!! And it looked like it was straight out of a Country Living magazine! And the member KNEW them! So we pulled over, knocked on the door, and the most flamboyant man opened the door... hahahaha. He had a glass of wine in his hand and a huge smile on his face. I said, "Hi there! We were driving around, and I saw your house... and, this is going to sound weird, but can you give us a tour?! It's so beautiful!" And he responded with a hearty laugh and waved us to come in! 
This house was.... amazing. Pictures to follow.
But they invited us to come back and "practice" teaching them the lessons. haha! Sureeee... we'll "PRACTICE" on you. ;) We're going back on July 3rd! :) Awesome!







Well, yep. That's our life. haha Keeping busy! 
Write me more letters! :P

Love you.

--Sister Gubler 

No comments:

Post a Comment