Monday, March 24, 2014

Before you come on your mission, learn to love everyone.

Fefe hake?! How are you?!

This week was... quite uneventful. But full of American food! Because, well, I got to cook for myself. haha.

Let's start off with Monday.
That was P-Day... and I wrote you an email. Pretty exciting. 
But after we emailed, we went to get lunch at Panda Express (kind of American food? haha) with a pair of Sisters from our district- Sister Bailey (from Alabama) and Sister Anderson (from South Carolina). While we were there, a very kind gentleman payed for our meals! It was a new concept to me. I always knew that people payed for missionaries when they saw them. But I'm still not used to the fact that I'M a missionary and that people are looking out for ME. It was so wonderful of him. Especially since missionaries don't have that much money to spend. But after Panda, we went to Walmart and got the weeks necessities. I chose to also buy a binder and sheet protectors, so that I can start safely keeping all of the letters people write to me. :) And we had a zone activity at the church where we had a great game of volleyball! Sister Anderson and I spent most of that time just talking and getting to know one another- it's awesome to know someone from your home area! And she also attended BYU-Idaho before she came out a few months before me. Yay for new friends!

Tuesday:
Sister Happy-Happy had a terrible cold. She could barely move... Man, when that Sister gets sick, she gets SICK. It was really sad. So we stayed home. She slept and I studied... ALL DAY. But it was amazing because I didn't get bored or tired. Being a missionary has made me appreciate the time that I have to study and learn about my Savior, Jesus Christ and about His gospel. :) While Sister Happy-Happy was sick, I made her a grilled cheese sandwich and tomato soup. She had never had one before! They don't have a lot of cheese in Tonga (it's SUPER expensive). So, when I made it, she thought it was the coolest concept ever! "You can butter the bread? And melt the cheese inside?! That's so awesome!" haha It was sweet. I'm happy that I could make Sister Happy- Happy happy. (Too many "happy"'s in that last sentence!) I also taught Sister Happy new words like "totes cray-cray" and "awk" and "yolo"... They are her new favorite words. She thinks that they're great! haha Let's hope that she doesn't use them in a lesson!
Later, Sister Happy was feeling better. We taught Danny that night- and his mom, Jackie, came along! They're from Idaho Falls, where Jackie worked for a doctor (dentist?) that was LDS. The doctor (or dentist) did an awesome job of sharing the gospel with her and Danny. He gave her a Book of Mormon and took time to sit and read with her. He invited her and her family over to FHE with his family each Monday :) She started to have the missionaries over for meals, where they would share little spiritual messages. But she hasn't had any formal lessons. But her and Danny recently lost a member of their family, and love the concept that families can be together forever. We taught them about the restoration- to which they committed to read the Book of Mormon and pray about it. Interesting thing though- Danny can't read well, at all. So we got him the Book of Mormon on CD. They said that they were going to listen to it while they were on a road trip to Arizona. Man, the spirit was SO awesome in the lesson! But, oh my goodness, I HAVE to tell you. So, my companion just finishes telling the first vision and I pick up after that point in time talking about how "Jesus Christ instructed Joseph Smith that none of these churches were true..." and all of a sudden, Danny's face gets SUPER red and his eyes tear up and his whole body just tightens. And I'm thinking, "This is awesome! He totally feels the spirit!!!" But after a little bit... I realize that he's in PAIN! What?! My comp asks him if he's okay.... He BIT HIS TONGUE and was crying in pain. Oh goodness. haha! But we're excited to meet with them again. They have awesome testimonies!

Wednesday:
We had a training meeting for all of the new missionaries who came out in the last transfer. Yay! Reunion with all of my MTC buddies! :D And I got to see Sister Tyler again- she's still my best friend. 


We sat together and shared experiences about our missions so far and how much we missed being companions. It was amazing to be able to see her. What a gem. 
But, long story short, I'm so grateful that I have my companion. There are so many missionaries who have issues with getting along with their companion, and it leads to a lot of other problems... LOVE THEM. Serve them. That's all I can say. Before you come on your mission, learn to love everyone.
I got the 3 CD's that you sent me! They're great! I love them. :)
While at the missionary training, I was asked to sing on a CD that they're making for the Idaho Nampa Mission. I'm so excited. :) And I'm so happy that Sister Cannon asked me to do that. They should be recording in a couple of weeks!
We went back and visited with "Grandpa"! He let us do service for him- cleaning his house and cleaning things in his garage. Once again, I was lifting heavy equipment in my dress... I don't know why I never change into my service clothes. Guess I never feel the need. I can be just as effective in my dress. But, anyways, I was helping him to lift a large drill into the back of his truck and I BROKE MY WATCH. I was so sad! It still works. But there's a large crack in the corner. Bummer. 
But he has a neighbor that came over to chat while we were there. We didn't talk about the gospel too much- just introduced ourselves. He makes signs out of wood for people- and he told us to come over at any time. Don't mind if we do! haha! But if we have to spend $100 on his signs for him to listen to the lessons- Mom, Dad, I hope you don't mind. But I'll spend that money! haha

Thursday, Friday, and Saturday:
Sister Happy-Happy got the flu. :( So, more studying and sitting and thinking... all while she slept the days away. 
While I was at home, I was looking in my Preach my Gospel, and decided to study getting over addictions. It's something that a lot of people struggle with and I just don't understand it... So I decided to try and experiment. I was going to pick a habit that I have, something that I do ALL THE TIME that I don't even think about, and I was going to STOP doing it. So I picked popping my knuckles. Well, popping anything. For those that know me... they know that I do it ALL THE TIME. Like, a lot. And I don't even think about it. It's just natural.
But I was going to go 1 week without doing it. I was so determined! And then I said "START!"
...yeah. I popped my knuckles after 1 minute. NOOOO!!! I was SO MAD! And I kept doing it throughout the entire day! I probably did it about 30-40 times. GRRR!! I'm still working on it. I haven't even made it 1 day yet. And I kept getting so mad at myself for doing it, even though I knew I wasn't supposed to.
It was something so simple- popping my knuckles. It's not going to ruin my eternal salvation. It's not going to ruin my health and make me die. It's something so simple- and yet, I got so upset when I did it! I can only imagine how much heartache and difficulty one must go through when trying to get over an addiction.
For those that are- know that my heart goes out to you. I love you. I'm working with you! Don't give up. I'm not giving up. And neither should you.
For those that don't have an addiction- try the experiment with me. Through gaining a better understanding, you may be able to better help others that are struggling.

Sunday was stake conference. Yay! Sister Happy was finally feeling better. The topic was "hastening the work of salvation". Loved it! But the thing that I got out of it wasn't about missionary work- it was something else.
A youth got up and talked about "how she has been a positive influence in her home". I thought it was great! Every now and again, it's good to look at ourselves and think, "How am I doing?" Not look at yourself and think of how awesome and great you are compared to others. But to look, in humility, at the good that you are doing in your home- and also what you could work on.
We then went to lunch at a ward members house. Steak and potatoes. Good eatin'. haha! But... I just have to say... no one can top the steak that the Tolman's made for me. That was the BEST STEAK I have EVER tasted. 
And, for dinner, we went to a ward members house again. haha So much food! But we played an awesome game- the one where you have the card on your forehead and you have to guess what it says by asking yes/no questions. It was awesome. And I won. :D

Can I issue everyone a challenge? It's probably something that you already do- and, if so, great! But I would love if everyone started doing a "Missionary Monday". Every Monday post on facebook/twitter/instagram something about the church. It can be a scripture, testimony, picture, quote, ANYTHING. It's just something simple. But start planting seeds!

I love you all! Have another great week! (Can you believe I've been on my mission for 48 days?! Crazy!)

Love,
Sister Gubler

Here are some pictures! 
A lot of the ward members INSIST on giving us eggs every time we go over... I don't eat eggs. Haha 
Another of us playing the forehead game. :)
Oh... the selfie. haha! I cut my own hair! :D My bangs were wayyyy too long, my comp was sleeping (so she couldn't stop me), and I was bored... So I grabbed the scissors and cut off about 3-4 inches. It turned out pretty well. :)
My broken watch... you can barely see it.
And look at my friend that I met at zone conference! You've seen Cast Away. :)











No comments:

Post a Comment